And how can I tell? These are the questions every future priest must ask. The first and most important thing is – you don’t do it alone. You aren’t sending yourself into the work of the Church.
Your call must be tested. Confirmed. Validated.
If a man believes that Christ is calling him, he owes it not only to himself, but also to all those whom he will serve to put this call to the test.
Discernment of a priestly vocation is done with intense interior prayer and spiritual direction. Your priest or spiritual father will be of immense help here, and you should talk to him as soon as possible. It is not all up to you, after all.
Like the Lord Jesus Christ, you will be tempted away from your vocation. Discernment is part of the spiritual warfare.
If you’re not ready for that, ask yourself if –
- You have a growing relationship with God and have a desire to continue to deepen our ongoing conversation.
- Others have told you that you would make a good priest. People in your life (i.e. clergy, parishioners, family members) have suggested that you should think about the priesthood (this means they are seeing something in you).
- You have a growing desire to evangelize, preach the Gospel, and reach others for Christ.
- You have a deep appreciation for the Orthodox faith and the Sacred Apostolic Tradition.
- You’re not afraid to take risks if you feel the outcome is worth it.
- You can articulate your views even when they are politically incorrect.
- You get a deep sense of satisfaction in helping others.
- You appreciate continued study, and feel that you always have more to learn, and are willing to learn it.
- You enjoy sharing your faith with others.
- You live and/or desire to live a life of service, and have been active in my Church and community serving others.
The calling to the priesthood is many things, but it is primarily a calling of sacrifice.
Everyone would like to follow Jesus as Christ the Victor!
Few want to follow Jesus as Christ the Victim.
Yet, this is the calling of a man who will follow Jesus into His Holy Priesthood.
Talk to your priest, confessor or spiritual father today.
Or contact us! We’ll put you in touch with someone who can help you begin to ask the right questions.